FIFA will invest further into the controversial topic of Goal Line Technology, after all 10 systems offered by developers across the world failed to meet the standards set by football’s governing body.
Trials for Goal Line Technology began after Sepp Blatter' performed an about-face on the topic, asking any companies that thought they might have a viable system to come forward for testing ahead of the IFAB meeting this month.
All 10 systems were judged at FIFA’s headquarters last month and were deemed by FIFA to be not quick or accurate enough, but despite this FIFA’s secretary-general Jerome Valcke said at a presentation on Thursday that the organisation remains committed to finding the right goal-line device.
“The decision is: Do we extend the tests which we at FIFA are ready to do and ready to pay for?” Valcke said in Zurich. “Maybe (we will) do the next tests in England and in a stadium.
“If something is working then why not (introduce it)? Blatter was clear to the executive committee by saying if there is a system that’s working we have to accept it.”
The topic of Goal Line Technology is likely to be brought up as expected later this month at the IFAB’s Welsh meeting, however, it will more be a case of analysing what certain systems did right and providing feedback to the manufacturers.
Under conditions set by IFAB in October, any technological device would have to determine whether a goal had been scored within one second and be 100 per cent accurate – no mean feat.
One high-profile absentee from the testing process was Hawk-Eye – who have been successfully ventured into tennis and cricket – whose system requires 6 cameras within a stadium – and thus was unable to participate in the low-key testing at FIFA House in Zurich.
“The structure of the tests was not what they were expecting but in the meantime we know where they are,” Valcke said. “Hawk-Eye also will be discussed (on Saturday).”